David Bowie 1978-04-17 Chicago ,Arie Crown Theatre.
Sound Quality Rating
01 – Warszawa (cuts in).flac
02 – “Heroes”.flac
03 – What In The World?.flac
04 – Be My Wife.flac
05 – The Jean Genie.flac
06 – Blackout.flac
07 – Sense Of Doubt (cut).flac
08 – Speed Of Life (cuts in).flac
09 – Breaking Glass.flac
10 – Beauty And The Beast.flac
11 – Fame.flac
12 – Band Intro (cut).flac
13 – Five Years (cuts in).flac
14 – Soul Love.flac
15 – Star.flac
16 – Hang On To Yourself.flac
17 – Ziggy Stardust.flac
18 – Suffragette City (fades in).flac
19 – Rock’n’Roll Suicide.flac
20 – Art Decade.flac
21 – Alabama Song.flac
22 – Station To Station.flac
23 – Stay (cuts in).flac
24 – TVC 15.flac
25 – Rebel Rebel.flac
Label: No label
Audio Source: audience
Total running time: 1:38:55
Sound Quality : Much noise ,dull ,but still good listened to
Artwork: by steve23ey ? > back side Covers Not Yet Available , who can help me with this .?
Bowie comes on stage for the second part of the show and Say’s: “Perfectly honest,I’m having a lot of trouhle seeing you. I want some uhm … is the houseligh man here? Could you put the houselights on a little bit … a bit more … a bit more … ah, that’s better. Hello!”. During Five Years someone from the audience threw a red shirt onto the stage. It landed right on the edge,so Bowie had to come to die very front to take a look at it. He went down on hands and knees to scrutinize it,then got up,but returned to have another look at it! Bowie sounds quite happy and cracks a joke or two. He liked this hall; well,he would,since it is a small theatre with a capacity of 4,500 seats,a great contrast with the enormous arenas where he did most of the concerts of this Lour. He played in this hall for two nights,although he could easily have given one concert in an arena for 10,000 people.
Tour band Isolar II 1978:
David Bowie – vocals, chamberlain
Adrian Belew – lead guitar, backing vocals
Carlos Alomar – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
George Murray – bass guitar, backing vocals
Dennis Davis – drums, percussion
Roger Powell – keyboards, synthesizer, backing vocals (except 11ñ14 November 1978)
Dennis Garcia – keyboards, synthesizer (11ñ14 November 1978 only)
Sean Mayes – piano, string ensemble, backing vocals
Simon House – electric violin
The original recording had the following flaws:
– sound of first half different from 2nd half (1st half with lower frequencies, 2nd half slightly overmodulated and hissy)
– some gaps between songs
– some cuts in songs, sometimes with new start from the same position
– track starts at wrong positions
– varying sound levels
These corrections were made:
– sound of 1st half: correction to slightly higher frequencies
– sound of 2nd half: correction to slightly lower frequencies
– gaps removed, double starts removed
– tracks newly edited
– sound levels adjusted
The track no. 7, Sense Of Doubt, was not listed in the original post but it is only a fragment (53 seconds long).
I was in discussion with bofinken57 about this recording as he uploaded the show from 17th of April in Chicago.
He mentioned that it could be fake which means it would be put together from other 78 shows (as discussed in other Bowie forums).
I think that the recording is genuine because:
– it is different from all other recordings from 78 I have but it’s definitely not the one from the 17th
– there are many similarities to the recording from the 17th: same song sequence and number of songs, almost similar track length
– even if the sound is slightly different at the 2nd half it seems to be unique (for instance the taper or others around him are talking and shouting from time to time).
But please feel free to correct me.
Despite of all flaws and after the made corrections this is still a very listenable show and it is amongst the better ones of that tour.
Setlist (tape length 99:09):