David Bowie The White Album ,An interesting collection of David’s early material – SQ 8/8.5
01. Even A Fool Learns To Love.flac Demo ,London 1967 –
Taken from a late-70’s documentary about the history of My Way, this is a clip of Bowie’s original demo of his translation, where he simply sings over the top of Claude François’s vocals
02. Bars Of The County Jail.flac Demo ,London 1965 –
03. That’s A Promise.flac Demo ,London 1965 – Davy Jones and the Lower Third
04. Glad I’ve Got Nobody.flac Demo ,London 1965 – Davy Jones and the Lower Third
05. I Want My Baby Back.flac Demo ,London 1965 –
06. Over The Wall We Go.flac – Session ,London 1967 –
Early session – previously on 7″ vinyl with interview with Brian Matthews.
07. I’ll Follow You.flac Demo ,London 196 – Davy Jones and the Lower Third
08. Little Toy Soldier.flac – Demo ,London 5 Apr 1967
An outtake from Bowie’s debut LP with Deram. Recorded with The Riot Squad, produced by Mike Vernon.
An attempt to re-write Lou Reed’s “Venus In Furs”
09. Love You Till Tuesday (Demo).flac – Demo ,London (date unknown)
Solo demo, tricky to be sure about date – 1966?
10. Love You Till Tuesday (German Version).flac – Lieb Dich Bis Dienstag 3:04
Version details available 1967 ,
Grim German version of Love You Till Tuesday – barked like Rosa Klebb
11. Right On Mother.flac – Demo ,Piano 1970
12. That’s Where My Heart Is.flac Demo ,London 1965 –
13. How Lucky You Are.flac – Studio ,London 1971
14. Tired Of My Life.fla Demo ,Beckenham May 1970 – Demo of a song said to have been written by Bowie aged 16! The lyrics were later used for “It’s No Game” on the “Scary Monsters” album, along with the musical structure for the chorus.
Believed to have been recorded at Haddon Hall in May 1970.
15. Shadowman.flac – Demo ,London 15 Nov 1971
Outtake from early Ziggy Stardust sessions.
Later re-recorded for Toy and released as a b-side in 2002
16. Threepenny Pierrot.flac – Demo ,Looking Glass Murders Film 1968 –
Very early version of what would later become “London Bye Ta-Ta”
17. Columbine.flac – Demo ,Looking Glass Murders Film 1968 –
18. The Mirror.flac – Demo ,Looking Glass Murders Film 1968 –
19. When I Live My Dream (From Threepenny Pierrot).flac – Demo ,Looking Glass Murders Film 1968 – Played solo on Organ
20. When I Live My Dream (German Version).flac – Studio Take ,German TV Show 1967 –
Bowie sings partly in German.
21. When I Live My Dream (Organ Version).flac – Demo ,Looking Glass Murders Film 1968 –
Played solo on Organ – shorter version from later in the film
22. Buzz The Fuzz.flac – Session ,London 5 Feb 1970
23. The Supermen (Original Acetate).flac – Studio 1970 – Glastonbury Fayre version
24. Kooks (Demo).flac – Demos ,London 1971
David’s Solo Demos from early-1971 (seemingly with Ronno on this one – but very hissy)
25. Holy Holy.flac Studio Outtakes ,Trident Studios 1970
This is the orginal mix (mono) version recorded by “The Hype”. Later to be re-recorded to a superior version by “The Spiders”.
Excellent round-up of the early oddities and rarities. Some if it’s pretty familiar (the Hunky Dory outtakes, the songs from “The Forgotten Songs of DRJ” for example) others less so. Particularly interesting demo of Holy Holy and nice to get Even A Fool Learns To Love
Audio Source: Various.
Lineage: CDR –> EAC –> WAV –> FLAC
Total Running Time: 65m 47s.
Info: Sound Quality varies but overall 7/8,5